Construction during Reconstruction: Eden Park Reservoir Elsinore Gate

The saga of the connection of the reservoir in Eden Park to the downtown water mains and the Hunt Street Pumping station dragged out from 1867 until 1883. Huge valves to connect the effluent (outflowing) pipes from the tunnel through Walnut Hills constituted the final piece of the puzzle. Fittingly, the Valve House served as[…]

Construction After Reconstruction: Eden Park Pump House and Water Tower

Before leaving aside the Eden Park Reservoir to consider other construction in Walnut Hills during Reconstruction, we’ll pause to consider a couple of other Water Works projects in the Park carried out later in the nineteenth century. The Reservoir had plenty of capacity for the city’s needs, but that water of course had to be[…]

The Hotel Alms

In 1891, Frederick Alms built a large apartment building on McMillan, just across Elmwood Place (later renamed Alms Place, now Victory Parkway) from his palatial home. He intended the place as a residence for families who “could have the fine air of a hill-top.” The new property also shared with his residence the magnificent view[…]

Elm Street School, the Frederick Douglass School building, 1872

Walnut Hills north of McMillan Street annexed itself to the city of Cincinnati in 1870, at the height of progressive Black Reconstruction. The merger included Cincinnati’s Colored School Board. It resulted in the creation of a Walnut Hills district and the prompt construction of a new Elm Street Colored School. The report of the  Cincinnati[…]