Cincinnati’s First Carnegie Branch Library

24 May 2019 The Building From the late-1800s, the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County (PLCH) was beginning to search for solutions to their over-crowded building, downtown.  This led them to seek funds from Andrew Carnegie’s foundation. They didn’t get a new main library building, as they wished, but their inquiry led to the[…]

Frederick Douglass School Library 1911

Since the nineteenth century, the Cincinnati Public Library provided service in the district’s school buildings. Douglass was no different; it housed a small library for the use of its students. Through the end of the nineteenth century, most adult library services required a trip to the main library building downtown. Andrew Carnegie, the iron baron[…]