Douglass School Garden Club, 1910

This photograph appeared in the 1920 celebration of the tenth anniversary of the new Frederick Douglass School building. The caption reads: “School Gardening was started here by Mrs. George B. Kerper as the representative of the Cincinnati Women’s Club in the spring of 1909. Mrs. Kerper devoted a large part of her time until her[…]

Charles Dillard

Charles Dillard

Dr. Dillard grew up in Walnut Hills in the 1940’s-50’s, attending Frederick Douglass School and Walnut Hills High School. He followed his father into medicine and returned to Walnut Hills in the late 1960’s to set up his practice. Dr. Dillard was in the Air Force and continued in the Reserves for 24 years, retiring[…]

Frederick Douglass School Building 1911

The Elm Street School for Colored Children had been built in 1872, when Cincinnati annexed Walnut Hills north of McMillan Street. The Arnett law of the late 1880’s had allowed African American children to attend the previously white-only public schools. The Black faculty and relatively affluent Black parents in Walnut Hills argued that their students[…]

Elm Street School, the Frederick Douglass School building, 1872

Walnut Hills north of McMillan Street annexed itself to the city of Cincinnati in 1870, at the height of progressive Black Reconstruction. The merger included Cincinnati’s Colored School Board. It resulted in the creation of a Walnut Hills district and the prompt construction of a new Elm Street Colored School. The report of the  Cincinnati[…]

Cincinnati Colored Public Schools

The city of Cincinnati, following Ohio law, set aside the education taxes on African American held properties for “Colored Public Schools” beginning in the 1850’s. Black men elected the school board, the only election in which they could vote. Peter Clark, later a Walnut Hills resident, served as the first teacher; it required a lawsuit[…]