Elm Street School, the Frederick Douglass School building, 1872

Walnut Hills north of McMillan Street annexed itself to the city of Cincinnati in 1870, at the height of progressive Black Reconstruction. The merger included Cincinnati’s Colored School Board. It resulted in the creation of a Walnut Hills district and the prompt construction of a new Elm Street Colored School. The report of the  Cincinnati[…]

Early Black Churches

African American families began moving to Walnut Hills in the 1850’s. Dangerfield Earley, reported as the sixth Black resident, organized the First Church of Walnut Hills in 1856, a mixed Baptist and Methodist-Episcopal congregation. By 1862, the Methodist-Episcopal part of the congregation, organized by Peter Clark who lived on Kemper Street (now Yale), formed a[…]