DeSales Corner Looking West August 1928

DeSales Corner, from Streetcar Suburb to Automotive Highway, 1928-29

In this photo taken August 10, 1928, Madison Road ended at DeSales Corner. From there westbound traffic flowed either north or southeast on Woodburn. (Only in Cincinnati does this geometry make sense.) This photograph captures St Francis DeSales Church (begun in 1872) on the right, the San Marco Apartments (1893) on the left. The row[…]

Ford Model T assembly plant

An old industrial building at 660 Lincoln Avenue, now used for office space by Children’s Hospital and bearing its logo, is visible from I71 as the highway reaches the top of the hill from downtown Cincinnati. The building began its life in 1914 as an assembly plant for the Model T Ford. During the last[…]

The Hotel Alms

In 1891, Frederick Alms built a large apartment building on McMillan, just across Elmwood Place (later renamed Alms Place, now Victory Parkway) from his palatial home. He intended the place as a residence for families who “could have the fine air of a hill-top.” The new property also shared with his residence the magnificent view[…]

Frederick Douglass School Building 1911

The Elm Street School for Colored Children had been built in 1872, when Cincinnati annexed Walnut Hills north of McMillan Street. The Arnett law of the late 1880’s had allowed African American children to attend the previously white-only public schools. The Black faculty and relatively affluent Black parents in Walnut Hills argued that their students[…]

Baldwin Piano

D.H. Baldwin, a music teacher in Cincinnati, began selling pianos in about 1862; his stock included Chickering and Steinway products. In 1865, he hired a Civil War veteran name Lucien Wulsin as a clerk. Their success as dealers grew, and Baldwin and Wulsin, partners from 1873, opened showrooms in other cities. They lost their Steinway[…]

Frances Jones Poetker

Frances Jones Poetker, of “Jones the Florist,” was born in Walnut Hills in 1913. The family had moved the floral business from Northern Kentucky to McMillan Street around 1900, and lived on Park Avenue, immediately around the corner from the shop. In the late 1920’s they constructed an elegant new building with a three-story atrium[…]

Women’s History Facts – Edgecliff College

In 1935, the Sisters of Mercy opened Our Lady of Cincinnati College to commuting students in the leased Walnut Hills Edgecliffe estate, formerly the home of Mary Emery. OLC was a hastily-arranged replacement for Clifton’s Sacred Heart, in those days called “Catholic Girl’s Colleges.” The bishop hoped that the little campus would provide a congenial[…]

Children’s Hospital founders

In 1883, three Episcopalian women determined to open a new hospital in Cincinnati to care for sick children. The idea originated with a Mrs. Robert Dayton, herself left nameless in standard histories of the hospital. Mrs. Dayton wanted to save sick children from the frightening and dangerous environments in adult hospitals at the time. She[…]

Cincinnati Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs

African American Cincinnatians fared better than their sisters and brothers in the South during the years of Jim Crow beginning in the 1880’s, but even in this northern city they suffered tremendous radical prejudice and found themselves excluded from social services extended to the white population. African American women often took the lead in programs[…]